Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Take Your Child to Work Day

Tomorrow is "Take Your Child to Work" Day.

The nation-wide event has its own website and sports a full line of its own merchandise. Translation: It's a big deal.

If you go to the website at http://www.daughtersandsonstowork.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=936, you'll find the following mission statement:

"Designed to be more than a career day, the Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work ® program goes beyond the average "shadow" an adult. Exposing girls and boys to what a parent or mentor in their lives does during the work day is important, but showing them the value of their education, helping them discover the power and possibilities associated with a balanced work and family life, and providing them an opportunity to share how they envision the future and begin steps toward their end goals in a hands-on and interactive environment is key to their achieving success."

Our oldest will come to work with my husband and me, but after reading the purpose behind the program, I'm not sure I qualify to participate.  I think my child is more likely to learn the following:

1.  Education value: Everyone has a boss. Bosses still treat you like crap when you have an education. However, with an education, you will understand the words they are using when they yell and scream at you.

2. Balanced work and family life: I still have yet to discover the solution to that neverending problem. My idea of balance: neverending paid weekend. My boss' idea of balance: working on the weekend. Hmmm, guess who wins?

3. Envision end goals: My child is too young to drink tequilla, my end goal.

4. Achieving success: Undiscovered hiding place for said tequila? I still don't think that's appropriate for a child.

Now that I think of it, perhaps we should change the day to "Take Your [insert favorite liquor] Bottle to Work Day."

2 comments: